Monday, April 27, 2009

A11 Jon Baxter

I went to the Wikipedia page on baseball and noticed that there have already been four edits today (and many more edits yesterday), which surprised me a little because I was guessing that the general baseball page would not be changing very much because almost everything that could be "updated" due to current events would be in separate articles.  However, when I started looking at what the edits actually were, I noticed that there wasn't much change in the actual substance of the article.  Instead, someone added a source, others have been working on making the language more gender-neutral, and still others have been making minor changes to language, diction, etc.

One interesting thing that I noticed is that in the history, people identify some changes as being a product of discussion from the discussion page.  For example, someone said "converting to gender-neutral language per FAC discussion", which means that people were talking about this issue in the discussion, decided it needed to be changed, and then someone changed it.  It turns out that there is a lot of discussion about a wide range of topics on the talk page, from changing the title of a section to adding an entire section on "little league".  It's clear that people are putting a lot of thought and effort into this page.

One thing that was a little frustrating was that sometimes people's labels for their edits were not very descriptive of what they did, and since it's kind of annoying to actually look at the diff between edits, there were edits that were a complete mystery to me.  It would definitely be useful if I could expand an individual edit on the history page to see a quick diff of what changed between that edit and the previous one.  Also, it would be neat if I could know exactly what discussion was being referred to when people changed things citing the talk page.  I mean that in your edit label you could specify a particular place in the talk place that would show up as a link so that people could see exactly where that discussion took place and partake if they wanted.

1 comment:

  1. I also found description of edits very not informative and frustrating because I would end up pressing it and scroll down the page to see the difference. So, I would like to see the actual difference marked on the page when I hover over the link or something. The talk page was also not organized at all and it is hard to follow since I don't know who is replying to whom. Wiki page is definitely not a great substitution for a forum. Too much rambling haha

    ReplyDelete