Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Assignment 10: John Fox

One problem that could be solved by a large group is identification, more specifically in my case, the identification of music. Having an interface like youtube makes it easy for users to pass information and communicate on not only videos but the music presented with it. By having a large group it becomes easier for people to access information faster as well as validate whether or not the information is true directly.

I have seen plenty of youtube videos, and a lot of the time I go to see a few quirky things like a favorite clip, or an old commercial I haven't seen in a long time. When I see these commercials sometimes I hear songs that I really like, but I have no idea who the artist is, or the name of the song itself. There are comment sections under the video that allow for people to give "kudos" on the video or ask questions about the video. What I have noticed is that a lot of people ask about the music that is used in the videos. Usually right after someone asks there is someone who knows exactly what song is used.

Whenever I would ask about a song on something like youtube, right after I found the answer I would check Youtube again for the specific song and usually it would be right. Over the past year I have found the information to numerous "nameless" songs just because of the Youtube community. It works extremely well because the communication that links directly to the medium, as well as a way to check the strength of statements directly. Unfortunately Verizon created new song recognition technology that more or less makes this system more or less obsolete. But it is still something I use frequently since I use AT&T.

2 comments:

  1. I have EXACTLY this problem that needs to be solved constantly except that in addition to seeing songs in youtube video clips, I will hear snippets of a song in a cafe or something and wouldn't be able to identify it.
    It doesn't surprise me at all when you say that the YouTube community is extremely accurate and useful in helping identify songs because there really is no purpose in being malicious, and I'm sure many people in the YouTube community have similar issues, so the collective mentality is very communal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true. Especially in commercials, I'll hear songs and want to download them. Off the top of my head, I can think of almost 10 songs I got solely because of TV ads...

    This just goes to show how "outsourcing" even obscure problems to the masses can be extremely effective. Even if only 1 of 10,000 people know the answer (one hundredth of one percent!), a video with a few million views should find a correct answer with no problem. The math on this continues to blow my mind.

    ReplyDelete