Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A9 Alan Garcia

One reason why I would question the utility of Second Life is related to McLeod's comment that Second Life emulates pieces of the real world but allows users to be whatever they want to be. For the sort of simulations that could possibly be beneficial to run on Second Life, there is a likely risk that a user's behavior would deviate from the norm. In terms of communicating and collaborating in the Second Life, possible drawbacks include adoption. This game might be accessible to those with experience in video games, but otherwise the large range of controls and functions gives it a steep learning curve, as mentioned in some of the readings.

On the other hand, there would be benefits if these varying identities were used on an individual level to experiment with elements of confidence or decision making. The fact that Second Life allows users to take control of their sense of place could give advantageous insights into certain simulated situations. For example, aggression or outspokenness could be traits that a character portrays which his owner does not. In terms of collaboration, a benefit of Second Life is the workspace and presence awareness that is provided. Information such as when members of your group are busy and what activity they are involved in are readily available.

An ideal use of Second Life might be an elementary or middle school after-school meeting. In this environment it would be important to have awareness and identity for everyone. Additionally, because children are very particular about their attention spans, a 3D simulated game would likely contribute to their interest. Finally, children are immersed in technology very early nowadays, thus the learning curve could be attacked much more efficiently.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the learning curve is a really big issue with Second Life. For instance, when Professor McLeod was running the demo in class, I tried to join in (but have ZERO Second Life experience) and I could barely function. I actually ended up taking my ponytail off and throwing it on the ground. Who knew that was even possible? I also think that the social hierarchies she discussed in terms of noobs vs. Linden's etc seemed like they could combine with the learning curve to discourage collaboration with new users.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with your comment stating Second Life’s steep learning curve is a huge drawback of the program. Second Life is such a complex program that it, not surprisingly, discourages many users. From my experience with Second Life, I became very frustrated when I could not figure out how to transport people. This bad experience makes me hesitant to attempt Second Life again. I think your idea about using it for an elementary school after-school meeting is interesting. I think the three dimensional aspects would definitely capture the kids’ interest, but do you really think kids would be able to figure out how to use the tools?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The learning curve is definitely an issue- I think it discourages a lot of users from really immersing themselves in the virtual world. For example, I created an avatar back lack the motivation to spend the few weeks in the world being a "newbie" and learning the ropes. One avatar actually old me to "f off" when I told him I was new and didn't know what I was doing. This is the type of behavior that makes a disguise useful and "liberating", i guess.

    ReplyDelete