Monday, March 2, 2009

Assignment 6: Jeanette Pineiro

I have found that my cell phone is only really bothersome when I am busy doing something else and I do not really feel like talking to people. It can also be somewhat bothersome when my cell phone battery dies and I am not home to charge it because then I have to walk around the rest of the day without a working cell phone. Other than that I do not find that my cell phone has been particularly bothersome for me over the past two days.

After thinking about the aspects of my cell phone that I found bothersome I thought of two new features for a smart phone. The first is that you can program your phone to automatically go to voicemail whenever someone calls instead of having to press ignore yourself or turn off your cell phone. Then once someone calls or texts an automatic text message is sent to them basically saying that you are busy and will contact them later or the message can say anything you want. It is sort of like an away message for AIM. The second feature focuses on your cell phone battery dying when you are not home and cannot charge it. The phone would be able to charge wirelessly when placed near an outlet or energy source.

In terms of social technical gaps the first feature could pose a problem depending on who is calling you. Most of the time you may not want to answer the phone for friends when you are busy, but if a professional person calls you would not want to miss that. Maybe there could be a feature where you program it to send messages only for specific people. However, as Acerman says technology is very rigid today, so it is hard to adapt the functions to different circumstances.

3 comments:

  1. I really like the idea of having a wireless charging system. I know that we didn't have to worry about technical limitations for this blog assignment, but I can think of a few off the top of my head, only because I think this is a great technology to consider. The biggest problem I see would be having too many phones charging from one outlet- perhaps there could be some sort of "busy signal" so as to not overload one power source. Also, charging your phone when you don't need to can be a problem for your overall battery life...so perhaps it could work like an airport on a computer that you can turn on and off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the idea of having an "away message" on your phone is a great one. I also feel that voicemail as it exists today is an archaic, outdated , and mostly useless system. Not only is the old-school touchtone interface cumbersome, it is also difficult to match which message belongs to which person and to get a quick summary of the messages. I would like to see a removal of voice mail all together, and instead have a system where voice memos can be left, but are turned into the most convenient form for the user - either text via voice recognition, or voice, if for example using a hands-free interface. One other idea would be to extend this to text messages, and have the ability to send texts with voice, or read texts with text-to-speech systems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is true that technology is rigid today, but the best technologies have capabilities that can separate beginners from advanced users. This is unfortunate, but it is important to emphasize that this easily changes with malleable technologies. There could be cell phones that are allowed to run any operating system, but unfortunately this is not so. Its both the economics, and the implications of coming around to the best product that usually maintain changes like these as just ideas.

    ReplyDelete