Monday, March 2, 2009

Assignment 6: Pimp My Phone [will gunn]

If I could add one feature to my cell phone, it would be some sort of automatic profile selector that changes my voicemail settings. I would like the phone to sense who is calling and change how the call is handled based on that data. This would affect everything from ringback tones to voicemail messages. If a friend was calling, I might want an entertaining ringback tone and a humorous voicemail message. If a friend I had plans with was wondering where I was, the greeting could say "I will be there in 5 minutes." On the other hand, if the call is from a potential employer, I would want a professional sounding voicemail greeting, including other ways to contact me or when I would next be available. It would also be nice to have the phone know that my dad is calling and simply say "Dad, I'll see the missed call. You don't need to leave a message that just says to call you back." A system like this would also handle what happens after the missed call. If a friend is calling, a text could be automatically sent that says "I'm in class, I'm so bored, please text me!"...but if it was my mom, the text would read "I'm studying in the library like a good student." Finally, I would like it if the voicemail was transcribed into an SMS message and sent right to me. Obviously I can't check my voicemail in class or during a meeting, but if the message was written in text and sent to my phone, I could see exactly what the caller wanted. Different types of messages would then make the phone vibrate differently in my pocket. Unique patterns could indicate the urgency of the message, as well as the role of the person who left it.
One possible problem with this is the issue of role changing. A friend can also be a coworker, and those two roles may need different messages. Also, I have been called by my parents using my brother's phone. There is no guarantee that the name that pops up on caller ID belongs to the person who is actually calling. This system changes plausible deniability. You couldn't pretend that you didn't get the message, but you could tailor a specific voicemail greeting that bends the truth about why you couldn't answer. In my example above, my greeting would tell my mom that I was in the library. Yet if she left an urgent message to call her back, I couldn't pretend I didn't get it because she'd know full well I received her exact words in a SMS. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to address these issues, unless the phone "automagically" senses who is calling, and for what purpose.

3 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting concept. I would love for my voicemail's to be converted into text messages, especially because I hate checking my voicemail. For me personally, I don't mind having one ring back and voice mail for everyone but I could definitely see why someone would want to do that. It would be very embarrassing if a job recruiter was calling and your ring back was "sexy back" or something. good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes technology is frustratingly un-smart. I wrote a comment for your post and went to submit it but lost connection in the mean time. I connected again but my Post Data was lost and thus my comment was gone. A smart phone would be able to remember my post and re-write it for me.

    Anyway, what I had written about was how it seems funny to me that it's somehow more acceptable to read text messages in class than listen to voicemails. We're getting the same information, why does it matter how we do it (you're right, it does matter).

    The other thing I had touched on was the implied urgency of all messages. Is it really necessary to know exactly what people want instantly when they're trying to contact us?

    My other point was that when push comes to shove, I think we are currently accountable when we don't pick up our phone. The purpose of the cell phone is to be reachable at all times. You mentioned that you could pretend that you didn't get the message (till late I presume), but even with current phones I would argue that no one really believes that you didn't get the message. The only time that excuse flies is when you add a "I left my phone in in such and such place," and a smart phone wouldn't help you if you didn't have it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on Daniela, "Sexyback"? You should know I'm more of a Cascada fan...

    ReplyDelete