Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Assignment 6: John Fox

When I think of my cell phone and how I use it in my everyday life, I usually run into the same issues over and over again. My number one problem are the issues that I have with my battery. It always seems as though my battery is running out too soon, and it is just impossible for me to to plug in my phone long enough to charge properly and still be able to come with me wherever I go. Another problem I face day to day is the inability to pick up service in places where I know it should be available. My phone usually takes a real long time to show it is in service range, so I got to wait an extended period of time in a single spot in order for me to make a call on my phone.

My first idea to improve the smart phone would attack the battery issue head on. The first thing my new smart phone would be able to do is create energy for your phone battery using body heat. With technological developments, we will be able to reduce whatever stray radiation phones may cause so that it would actually be safer to carry you phone closer to your body. As you move around in your day to day life the battery will absorb extra body heat that you expend, allowing the phone to charge even when you cant use a charger.

Secondly I would create a phone with a smoother running interface, that allows the phone to connect to service providers as soon as service is provided and allow the interface to register the information as soon as it is available.

3 comments:

  1. The battery life of a cell phone was also one of my biggest issues that I found bothersome and wrote about in my blog. I like your idea to use body heat regarding this issue. I think that it would be able to shorten the social technical gap that is related to a cell phone's battery life. Having to carry around a bulky cell phone charger is not always feasible because you cannot always find an outlet or you may not be in one place for long enough to charge your phone. Using your body heat allows you to continue your social life without having to interrupt your routine just to charge your phone so it won't die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One other possible way of charging your phone on the go is using a miniature solar panel. These devices are quickly growing in popularity, and are often mounted on backpacks, or are slim foldable. Some of these are even flexible and blend right into the fabric of your bag, helping to reduce the social-technical gaps that currently exist between the average consumer and solar power. Though not yet affordable for all consumers, the prevalence of alternate power sources for portable electronics will most likely be increasing in the next coming years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The battery of my cell phone always seems to die at the most inconvenient times. I totally agree that this is one of the biggest social technical issues with cell phones. The last time my cell phone died was when I was driving home from school on a four hour car ride; it was dark out and snowing. This was a very dangerous situation in which an alternative source of power is extremely necessary. As Ackerman states, the social technical gap should be able to fix this problem by now. One suggestion I have, is having a second battery attached to the phone, so when it dies you can just turn the battery around.

    ReplyDelete