Monday, February 23, 2009

Assignment 5: Guide for People Who Can't Use Facebook Good and Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too [will gunn]

After reading Orlikowksi's discussion of frames, I think I can now explain to my mom why I spend so much time "talking to my friends on the Facebook." Facebook actually combines many services of other websites into one application. I think most users, even internet neophytes, have used services such as email and photosharing.

Almost everybody that I know in the 40-60 age group has at least minimal experience online, so they have some working knowledge of major web applications. I think that these existing technological frames would serve as a solid introduction to Facebook. Half the battle is explaining what Facebook is "for", and comparing it to known applications can illustrate that point very quickly. Facebook has aspects similar to email, such as wall posts and comments (but I'd definitely stress that these are public), as well as a private message system. In fact, someone less tech savvy may prefer Facebook's messaging system, as everybody has to use their real name instead of a pseudonymous address that can be hard to remember. Also, in my experiences, many older internet users tend use some sort of photosharing site, such as Yahoo, to exchange family pictures with relatives. Facebook obviously incorporates this, but with sorting features that they will enjoy. They can choose to see all pictures of one specific person, or they can see different albums that person has uploaded.

I would definitely suggest for them to keep to the basics, such as adding friends and making wall posts. I would also explain that the main return on their investment would be an ability to keep in touch with all sorts of acquaintances, from old friends to relatives. They would likely have little need for groups, events, or bumperstickers. Also, their basic training would just be a few minutes of supervise use. I would have them search for their friends, look through some pictures, and learn the terminology (such as notifications and requests to ground them in the jargon), as well as privacy settings. Our generation is much more open to being open, while older users will want to know who sees what.

I think that older users will definitely invest the time it takes to learn the technology if the rewards are outlined. Easy communication is a very powerful incentive. I know from experience, as my parents learned to text so that they could easily get in touch with me whenever they needed to...even if my mom still hasn't mastered T9 typing.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with what you say. These older users should only use Facebook for writing wall posts, sharing pictures and adding friends. I also think it could be beneficial for them to use the event feature to invite their friends to their parties. This would save a lot of time writing invitations, stamping and addressing envelopes etc. My mom always wondered why I spent so much time on Facebook also, until she got one herself. Now she is obsessed with Facebook because it allows to talk to all of her high school friends who are currently all over the world. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good to emphasize the features that Facebook photo albums offer. Since it is already in the frame of existing systems such as Yahoo, introducing them to the concept of a better user experience will likely motivate them to be more open minded and perhaps even proactive in learning new systems such as FB.

    One thing I might disagree about is that their basic training would just be a few minutes of supervise use. Unless they are versed in the general design principles of today's applications (e.g. web 2.0 standards) they are not that likely to remember everything with just a one-time supervised interaction. Perhaps they'll remember basic search and wall posting functions, but photo uploads and organization gets a bit more complex.

    Good post overall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please tell your mom, "good luck with the T9 typing."
    I don't actually use it myself, but I wish her all the best in her endeavors!
    Thanks!

    -Eric

    ReplyDelete