Thursday, February 26, 2009

Assignment 6: Christina Caiozzo

One of the biggest problems I encounter is switching the ring level from off to on depending on where I am. Sometimes in class, it rings because I forgot to switch it to vibrate. Other times, I am home, and I miss calls and texts because I forgot to put it back on ring.
Another feature that is problematic is the phantom-vibrate. I will have my phone in my backpack, or in my pocket and I will be 100% positive that I felt it vibrate, but when I check it, there’s no indication that anybody was trying to reach me.
My “smart” phone would have a built in GPS feature that would sense where I was located. I would be able to set it just once so that it always knew how I wanted it to ring depending on where I was. To resolve the phantom-vibrate, this phone would come equipped with an invisible ear piece. I could put this invisible ear-piece in my ear, and when someone is trying to reach me, a voice would say- who it was, and read the message if it was a text.
Even with an invisible, weightless earpiece that signals when your phone is being activated- there still exist social technical gaps discussed by Ackerman. Ackerman (2000) states that “human activity is highly flexible, nuanced and contextualized” (p. 180), while technical systems are “rigid and brittle- not only in any intelligent understanding, but also in their support of the social world” (p.180). To address the social-technical gaps present in my smart phone design, I would need to analyze the technology’s ability to keep track of the different roles that I play. Even though its GPS system would enable it to automatically change the loudness of my ring, those conditions are not absolute. The phone would not be able to automatically know when I’m at home, and taking a nap and would like the phone to be on silent. The phone would not be able to keep track of the fluidity with which I operate. Additionally, my invisible earpiece does not address the situation where sometimes you are waiting for a specific person to call. Sometimes I am relieved when I miss a call- it is a good excuse for not having to talk to someone. If people know that I am wearing this invisible earpiece, I will have no excuse as to why I didn’t answer their call.
To fix these social-technical gaps, the phone would have to relate to me in a more social way. The way a computer keeps track of what sites I go to, and presents information accordingly, my phone could keep track of who I usually talk to, and when I usually put my phone on silent, and it could do those things automatically- If it had a memory. If it remembered who I constantly ignored calls from, it would ignore the calls for me- providing me with an excuse as to why I didn’t answer someone’s call. (its not my fault my phone “malfunctions..”) I think that bridging the social-technical gap requires very advanced technology- to be created in the distant future.

2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem with the "phantom vibrate!" Sometimes I could swear my phone vibrated and then I make a big deal about getting it out to check, just to end up getting immediately embarrassed when my friends tell me that I'm delusional and no one's actually trying to contact me. Another problem I often find that I have with respect to phone ringing/vibrating is when I lose my phone. I generally keep my phone on vibrate to avoid embarassing ringtone class/movie/library moments, but this poses a huge problem when I can't find it and the vibrations are muffled because it's buried in my comforter or at the bottom of my bag. Perhaps the smart phone could sense long periods of inactivity and put your phone in "lost" mode, which would crank up the volume of your ringtone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A GPS features would certainly narrow down the accuracy of places you would want to accept the call, but call availability is not limited to just location alone. Your socio-technical gap also exists with case-by-case situations. For example, you could be in a classroom, but just got out of class, so it's alright to accept a call. The availability issue is one that is common for a large portion of the class, it seems, and even my own solution for it can't solve this gap very well - it seems to be one of the problems that people and technology will just have to compromise on. I do like the GPS idea, though, as it solves the location problem very well.

    ReplyDelete